Sunday, September 28, 2014

Cooking #1: Nems

I am going to do a slight turn as a cooking blog.  Ha!  Not really, but I am going to try to make something every week or so from my new cookbook and I'd like to share the results with you.  I'll label the posts, so you can avoid the cooking ones if that's not your thing!

So this is the new cookbook, and frankly the presentation makes everything look super delicious and NOT SCARY to make:


So, we attacked the spring rolls (nems, in French) recipe first because I love that!!

Here are some prep pictures:

Shredded carrots and mushrooms:


Shredded onions and parsley


And here are the noodles...


I said 'we' prepared the nems, but that's not really true, unless you consider documenting the process as preparing. ;)  In fact, my new boyfriend did all the work.  Yeah, so that...that's the main reason that the blog has been so silent.  My husband and I have divorced, but the whole process has been pretty smooth.  My husband and I have been able to stay friends so far, and as we are both motivated to remain so, I think we'll be able to make it work.  

Anyhow, here's introducing K., the man who did all the cooking (that's his hobby), about to enjoy a nice pint in London:


So all of the following is his magnificent and delicious work...green onions, pork, mushrooms, noodles, etc.


The pile waiting to be fried:


And now, the frying...


On a scale of five stars, K. places the result at a solid four stars: **** !  The recipe is stamped and approved and the taste was yum, yum, yum.  The form wasn't quite there yet, the first nems were a bit too long and skinny, hence the four out of five. ;)


Ready to eat!


With a nice salad:


It was delicious...and nearly like in the photo!


Recipe ingredients:

10 black mushrooms
1 handful of rice noodles
2 garlic cloves
2 small onions (shallot)
1 carrot
6 shrimp (uncooked)
1 chile pepper
1 bunch of coriander
1 bunch of mint
1/2 bunch of green onions
1 handful of soy beans
200 g of ground pork
1 tablespoon of nuoc-mam sauce
30 rice sheets
oil for frying
salt
pepper

Now we just need to choose the next recipe...and maybe I'll chop something... ;)

4 comments:

  1. Donna, I am sorry you've been going through upheaval in your life but you sound very grounded and happy with how things are turning out for you so I'm happy for you.
    The nems look yummy. I wish I could cook well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn, thanks, I think it's really all for the best. It's been an adjustment but I think everybody is doing pretty well.
      And I'm lucky to know someone who can cook!! I cook, but I don't *cook*, if you see the difference. ;)

      Delete