Saturday, April 18, 2015

A Visit to Fontainebleau

A non-crafting post!!

I finally made it to Fontainebleau after several abortive attempts!  And it was a gorgeous, sunny day to boot. :)

I'm not wearing anything me-made and there's really no crafting angle whatsoever.  I could've taken photos of some of Napoloeon's clothing (the château houses a Napoleon museum, because among things, he abdicated here before going to Elba), but I have a real aversion to taking photos of objects behind glass.  So the only arts and craft angle is to enjoy the beautiful carvings and paintings, etc.

Here's one outside courtyard (my favorite because it was lush and had secret paths...which, regrettably I didn't take any photos of!):


A close-up on the statute...this château was previously used as a hunting lodge.  Try to picture it...


I particularly wanted to visit this castle because of its link to François I, who spent a lot of time here.  Or more specifically, because of its link to his sister - Marguerite de Navarre, author of L'Heptaméron, one of my favorite books.  Some of the stories in the book describe noblemen trying to seduce women in the gardens and I can easily imagine the scene in a garden such as above. 

I've mentioned Marguerite de Navarre before, but if she's unfamiliar to you, I strongly suggest at least checking out the wikipedia page.

Here's the François I gallery:


It's like la Galerie des Glaces at Versailles, except no mirrors, ha!

And here's François I's symbol (the salamander):


Some more pictures from the gallery:


Check out this amazing door with a Gorgon's head:





 Here's a close-up:


And some more views:


Finally, outside for gelato and sun and French gardens:


I love that shirt I'm wearing (and the boots!) and I wear it every week.  This one is RTW, but I definitely need to make another one with some chambray or something. 

Hope it's nice and sunny where you are this weekend!  :)

2 comments: