Counterpoint

I love The Sew Weekly. I love looking at the main projects as well as the interpretations that participants around the globe come up with. Last week their theme was All Pinned-Up: classic pin-up styling from the 30's, 40's and 50's.

Mena writes regularly on body image and empowerment: each woman deciding for herself what she feels comfortable wearing and not simply following the fashion trends; each woman dressing for her pleasure and not simply the pleasure of those looking at her. Given Mena's (I would say, feminist) perspective on things, I'm totally comfortable with the pin-up theme.

AND, I love this project that turns the tables: Men Photographed in Stereotypical Pin-up Poses. I don't think these men sewed their own clothes and I gather the photographer Rion Sabean is the brain-child for the project and therefore responsible for the sartorial choices and styling. So, it's not quite the same as the Sew Weekly folks' project, but I still appreciate the humor and the embedded social commentary.

Thanks to Drew for sharing the link on FB. :) And the photographer sells men-up calendars at the web-site, if you are interested.

Comments

  1. ohmigosh, HILARIOUS!! Haven't laughed so much for ages... my kids too... thanks for the link! I have to share this one too...

    (Oh, and I wanted to specially thank you, Donna, for your very lovely comments you leave on my blog. You are so kind!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts