Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Dress Done: For Now

I have tentatively completed the New Look 6557 dress for my friend. She choose view A, which, upon completion, looks a little Marilyn Monroey. It must be the color we chose, because looking at the pattern cover I don't make that association.


Anyhow, I say that I've tentatively finished because she's not here to try it on. But I'll be in Hawai'i this weekend, yay! I anticipate having to take it in a bit. Also, I left it unhemmed so that she could choose the length and I'd only have to do the hem once.


I don't have a dress form, so this was the best I could do for a photo, sorry!

All in all, it was pretty easy to put together. Rather, it would have been, had my brain been functioning. Because I again made several mistakes. I think maybe when I transferred the markings I wasn't very accurate and this didn't help. I kept sewing the pieces on the wrong way.

I might make a version of this for myself eventually. I'm leaning toward view D (the turquoise one on the cover). The v-neck dips a little low for me. It looks pretty but I know the dress would end up languishing in the closet if I did that version. Whereas I think the neckline in view D should be more within my comfort zone.

Here's a close-up of the inside bodice lining:


Doing the lining was easier than I anticipated too and I'm pretty happy with the turn-out. :) The instructions didn't indicate to cover the lower bodice seam though, and I thought it looked unfinished (especially for my friend who is accustomed to Ready-to-Wear) so I (badly) finished it with some commercial pink bias tape that I had on-hand.

I hope she likes it and it fits! I'll take a photo of her modelling it in Hawai'i :)

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Christmas Dress

I think I mentioned a while back that I'm making a friend a dress for Christmas, as that's what she asked for. So I finally got all the materials together and have started it. Here's part of the bodice, with its lovely grey ribbon:


No major catastrophes (so far), but I basically have to do every step twice because my brain keeps wandering off.

Case in point:


I made the same bodice front twice. Luckily I figured it out before attaching the ribbon to the second one because that would've left holes in my ribbon!

See, proof that it's fixed now:


Unfortunately one mistake hasn't sufficed. I've made several others...and I'm afraid I might have left permanent holes in part of the fabric. But hopefully it'll all turn out right in the end! I need to finish it by this coming Thursday. Send me good sewing karma please! :)

I have managed to complete another Christmas embroidery project though.

Here's the Tree of Love:


And here's another project limping along:


Picnik is currently offering a free holiday greeting card option with their usual services and I couldn't resist.

I hope everyone is humming along with the holiday crafting!


Friday, December 9, 2011

A Non-Sewing Post

Be Warned!! The following has nothing to do with sewing or knitting and instead is shameless promotion of one of my friends. Harrison Shinn recently released a CD (The Line) that you can download as mp3s on Amazon or iTunes. He entirely produced and wrote the album himself over the past several years. You can listen to samples at both sites.

His blog is here.

My two favorite tracks (as of this writing!) are the shortest ("The Line Across Hope") and the longest ("Nostromo"). I also really love the song "Remember."

I don't benefit financially in any way by promoting his work, I just think it's awesome and I want to do my part to spread the word. :)

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Burda 7431

Another Fall Essentials Sew-Along and Colette Fall Palette Challenge item finished! I took some sewing time for myself in between finishing the toile/muslin of the Cynthia Rowley skirt and starting on my friend's halter top dress.

I used my first Burda pattern ever: blouse pattern 7431. I didn't use one from their magazines because the tracing still intimidates me. I found the instructions a little sparse (with some parts missing, it seems to me) but I was able to muddle through it. And I love the results. :)

I made view A in a cotton lawn:


It was fun trying to take photos in the wind and rain. I quite liked T's candid photos and couldn't choose between them. :)

Here's a closer view though:


There are some wrinkles under the arms in the back. I think I should've lowered/enlarged the armscye, but it's okay how it is. If I use this pattern again, I'll try to do that. I had noticed it after putting in the first sleeve, so I sewed the second sleeve with even smaller seam allowances (.5 cm total) to give me more wiggle room.


I loved working with this fabric. I had virtually no problems with my sewing machine. She is normally quite capricious, but this time the thread-fabric combination must've been spot-on because it went like a dream.

And I finished this just in time because the fabric for the halter dress arrived yesterday so I can get started on it now.