Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Greeting the Cold with More Knitting

We've gone to Alsace to spend All Saints' Day with family. So, of course, I had to bring some knitting. But my merlot-colored sweater was in a delicate spot and my lace scarf is not easy to transport because the yarn is in hank-form, not ball-form. Naturally, I had to start a new project.

I chose the Girl Friday sweater from Knitty, a pretty shawl-collar design with a big lace pattern. Just in time too, because we already had some snow here! OK, OK, it melted right away, but still.

I'm using the grey merino wool from Rowan - the same yarn that I used for my failed project this summer. So far, so good ... knock on wood.

Happy Halloween to everyone who celebrates it!!

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

More Madrigal Scans

I thought I'd share a couple more scans from the Madrigal magazine that I picked up in Paris.

We have 'Du Classique':

And 'Du Nouveau':

I particularly love the outfits on the 'Classique' page. I like a nice skirted suit. :)

Friday, October 12, 2012

Feeling Frustrated because I Hate Most of my Clothes

The title pretty much sums up my state of mind. I have a clear plan (in my head) of what sewing I can do to fix my wardrobe blues...in theory, at least. It involves several Renfrews (long-sleeve with cowl), several waterfall cardigans and several pairs of pleated pants similar to the Papercut pattern. Alas, I don't have the funds to buy the fabric required and nothing in my stash is suitable.

T. reminded me last night that I do have fabric and patterns in my stash that go together. Sigh. But that's not what I want/need in my wardrobe right now. Whine, whine, whine.

I'm trying to knuckle under and make something that I'll like and use out of what I have. I have what it takes to make a Colette Beignet skirt. And a Chantilly, but ha!!, I wouldn't wear it for another 9 months. And I have the supplies to make 2 cotton voile shirts and/or tunics.

The shirts require that I tape together the stupid downloaded pattern and I don't really feel up to it. And the Beignet requires that I trace the pattern first and then cut it out so as not to ruin the master. That sucker's expensive so I'm not touching the master!! The thought of the taping and the tracing leaves a bad taste in my mouth, so now I'm back to looking at what I can make.

Well, I have the leftover blue check fabric from the most recent Negroni. I think I could squeeze a shirt for myself out of that. And the fabric matches at least 2 bottoms that I already have in my closet, so I wouldn't be creating an orphan. I may even have buttons already that would match. Hmmm, this is looking like a winner. I'm sure the stripe-matching will go much smoother this time! :P

No doubt I will have talked myself into doing something else a few minutes after I post this. I'm sure I'm not the only one to do that. ;)

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Some Knitting and a Blog Award

Thank you to Maider at Masustak eguzkitan for the blog award. I believe the idea is simply to recognize and say thank you to bloggers who take the time to comment. The rules are to pass along the award to the last 9 bloggers who commented on your blog. :)

So, thank you for commenting and I'm passing this along to you, with no further obligations:

Ginger Makes
Sewin Steady
Aventuras de Costuras
Handmade by Carolyn
Meg the Grand
Minnado's House
Made with Whimsy

I'll try to leave you all a message individually on your blogs too, although I might not get to it 'til tomorrow! :)

And, as promised, some knitting. Here's a scarf that I just started; I'm using the yarn I bought with Carolyn up in Paris.

I love blue. :)

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Another Negroni

This time I made the long-sleeve version, just in time for fall.

The shirt came together easily, EXCEPT that I had to match up the stripes. That was a bit of a pain. I think I did a good job at the back yoke, but I couldn't even try at the sleeve heads. Here's the back (I know it's not ironed...it was, but it got all wrinkly again in a heartbeat):

And speaking of sleeves, I made them too long. I cut them out as indicated for the large size, and it turns out that they're about 2 inches too long for T's arms. I didn't double-check with my measurements before cutting. Whoops. Well, I'll know for next time because I will be making another long-sleeve version. But not any time soon!

I could've finished this weeks and weeks ago, but I didn't want to make the pockets. I saved them for last because I really didn't want to do them. I have no idea why because they aren't difficult. Plus, I cut them out on the bias so I didn't even have to match the stripes. Go figure. I'm cutting the yoke on the next bias next to add some visual interest, and to avoid all that stripe matching!

For the next version I just need to remember to draft a collar stand. T. had requested one for this version but I completely forgot. It looks okay without one, but I think the shirt will look more like office-wear with a collar stand.

I can't believe the first week of October has already come and gone. Look at those gorgeous leaves though!