Finished Object: A Striped Cardigan

This has been 98% finished for a month or so: my version of the Bethany Wrap by Amy Miller.  Here's the Ravelry link for those interested.

Bethany Wrap by Amy Miller from Interweave Magazine Summer 2012.
I say that it's 98% finished because I still have ALL the ends to weave in (stripes, egad!!) and I need to block it.  But if I wait to do that before trying to document the poor will be a long, long wait indeed.

I used my leftover yarn from two different companies and two slightly different weight categories. Crazy, I know!!  But I think they play well together.  I have already used the two yarns on several different projects over the years, so I have an idea of how they should wear and tear over time; I think they are compatible.  I used Rowan RYC Extra Fine Merino DK and the now discontinued (sad!!!) Mission Falls Merino Superwash.

Actually, I used three yarns.  I ran out of a certain color of the Mission Falls and had to finish up with Quince and Company Chickadee.  OK, I am officially crazy.  I believe the result is harmonious though!

You might notice that the stripe pattern on the sleeves and the back isn't the same as on the fronts.  NO, it's not just a trick of the light.  I had to adjust things, again, to accomodate the leftover yarn that I had.

This was an exercise in creative economy.  The pattern had been on my Ravelry queue since the magazine came out.  And I didn't want to specifically buy yarn for it when I already had so much yarn!  Stripes are pretty adaptable, luckily, so I went for it using what I had.  So that meant using wool instead of cotton, to begin with, and then combining the different weights and brands.  I did a swatch and was happy with the results, so ploughed ahead!!

The knitting itself was simple and straightforward.  I added length to the sleeves and a bit to the body.  I should've added more to the body, in hindsight.  I had a little confusion regarding the collar and picking up the stitches there, so I finally just did what I thought needed to be done to make a collar.  It doesn't entirely match the photo in the magazine, but I'm satisfied.

This is my first "real" blog photoshoot in a looooong time, so I'm going a bit overboard on the photos! The weather here has been lovely and it is such a pleasure to get out in nature a bit.

Not all photos go as planned... 

I'm happy to get back into blogland a little bit!! :)


Popular Posts