Sunday, November 3, 2013

Finished Dress: Simplicity 1796

A new dress, from Simplicity 1796: just in time for spring, ha!  The Slapdash Sewist just posted a review of this in Pattern Review, if you're interested.  Actually, I think I can use this through fall if I combine it with tights and a cardigan.  Especially if fall weather continues to be like this weekend - I didn't even need a sweater!


I used some of the woven cotton I bought at the Amana colonies this summer.  The cotton isn't too stiff, so I think it works for this pattern, even though I originally had planned to make it in a jersey.  I flat-lined the skirt portion with some leftover cream-colored polyester, planning on wearing it in fall (and chilly springs). 

I need to buy a black belt to wear with it, but I was working with what I have.  I was a little disappointed initially, but looking at these photos I think it's not half-bad.  However, I should've done something more to modify the front.  It gapes when I move because my bust just doesn't fill it out.  I'm definitely going to have to wear a camisole underneath it.  I'll spare you the photographic evidence though. ;)


Otherwise I think it's the correct size.  I cut a straight ten.  It fits well in the shoulders.  I measured my waist and tested the elastic insert at the waist before I sewed the ends together, as indicated in the directions.  Ever since I bought my little elastic-inserting tool, I no longer dread this kind of waistline.  Especially since I would wear this type of dress with a belt in any case, to give me the illusion of waist definition! 


I didn't fold the fabric as indicated for the button-tab though, because the backside of this fabric looks terrible.  So I just kinda folded it under.  We'll see how that works out in the long term.  I put on an orange button to match the fabric.  'Cuz hey, when else am I going to need an orange button?!

Speaking of orange, it's not normally a color I wear, but I think the color combination here lets me get away with it.  The greys and black help tone down the brightness of the orange and yellow.

I think I did okay with pattern placement too.  No giant flower boobs.  I did do a machine-hem though.  I'm lazy like that.  

 
I'm feeling pretty positive about this.  It even has pockets!  But I haven't worn it for real yet, so let's wait for the work-test.  But I might revisit the pattern in a knit, as originally planned.  It's so fun using new patterns though!  

Anyhow, I'm glad I just finally got something done!  Have a great Sunday to everybody who's just starting their Sunday and sleep tight to those of you on your way into Monday!! :)

12 comments:

  1. It looks good on you, too bad about the gaping, though. Colourwise I think it's perfect for fall and it looks like it could be a good layering piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute dress! It turned out well in woven cotton, maybe in jersey it would be more drape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to try in it in a jersey...I think it'd have more slink. :)

      Delete
  3. I really like it! You really have an eye for the best prints, and it looks very pretty on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! This looks so sweet on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i really like it. That fabric and colour combination look great on you. And it has pockets! Yay xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you're so sweet! I agree, double yay for pocketses!

      Delete
  6. Great colours for autumn or spring, I think. Looks to be a good fit, too. A success!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, I love the wrap style. Very cute fabric, too, I think it'll be great both for layering in fall and for spring. Cute details, too, especially the tabs and pockets!

    ReplyDelete