Me-Made-May 2021 Edition

I, Donna, of niddetissus.blogspot.com, pledge to wear at least one me-made item every day during May for the Me-Made-May 2021 challenge. 

 

 

Whew, it's that time of year again!  I didn't participate last year, but I've decided to go for it this year.  This may be ill-advised as my me-made wardrobe continues to shrink.  I managed to finish two knitting projects in the last year and one sewn garment.  On the other hand, since 2019 when I last participated in Me-Made-May, I've gotten rid of maybe five me-made garments.  So the numbers are against me in terms of garment choice.

Nonetheless, I've pledged to wear one me-made item every day.  I didn't specify it in my pledge on Zoe's blog, but this includes hand-made jewelry.  

My intention is to use this as an opportunity to re-assess my relationship with sewing my own clothes.  I have felt increasingly less motivation to do this over the last several years and I'd like to reflect upon that.  I'm not judging myself, simply noticing.  I continue to knit, but knitting is a slower process and I tend to take on fairly big projects, like sweaters with lots of cables or lace, so I finish relatively few wearable objects.

I'm also hoping that this will give me a little boost to finish a couple of the UFO's that are languishing.  As I write those words though, I feel no motivation whatsoever to go dig them out and work on them!  Well, it's a process and I'll see how things develop throughout May.

In the past, one of the most enjoyable aspects of the Me-Made-Months was the camaraderie, the sharing of struggles and triumphs, if only in the blogosphere/social network sites.  As blogging has fallen out of fashion, and more interaction is taking place on Instagram, for example, I definitely feel a loss of connection.  To me, Instagram - despite many of us trying to make connections there - ultimately still feels more about consumerism than blogs and blogging do.  Of course, this is also attributable to my choices as to what accounts I follow.

Anyhow, I'm going forth with good intentions, an open mind, and am looking forward to seeing what everybody shares!

Comments

Popular Posts