Friday, December 3, 2010

One Big Mess

I considered naming this blog "One Big Mess," but I decided that was a little bit too negative.  Nonetheless, some days my crafting really is one big mess.  Today was one of those days; luckily, the project was small.  That was probably the root of the problem.  I thought it would be much easier and much faster than it was.   So, I didn't verify that I had enough thread of the correct color.  And when the spool ran dry, I was lucky to find that I had another one because I used a lot of thread on this small project.  Lots of stitching, ripping out, and re-stitching.

I made a Christmas gift for someone and decided that I should sew a gift bag to go with it, as the gift itself wasn't going to be easily wrapped in paper.  I didn't use a pattern for the gift bag.  I had an idea and I thought it would be easy enough to do.  I even had what I thought was a super trick for the construction that would save me a few steps.  I should've thought that one through a little more before starting because half-way through I realized that, in fact, it was NOT a super trick and that there was a much better way to do it.  But I'm stubborn and I didn't want to start all the way over, so I found a way to make it work.  And, my silly way of constructing the bag does have the bonus of giving the bag a nice design element on the side seam.

Here are some pictures of the bag in construction:



I used fabric leftover from my Christmas decorations project (made for my knitting group's sale).  I haven't done a post yet on the Christmas decorations...perhaps I will do one later.  The fact that I was using leftovers didn't give me a lot of wiggle room on the design.  Well, I suppose I could've used even more leftovers and made a larger, quilted bag, but the bag itself is not the gift so I didn't want to spend days on it. 

Anyhow, here's a photo of the finished project, with the Christmas gift already in the bag.  I hope the recipient likes both!


I also used this photo for today's contribution on the 365 Project.  So far I'm loving looking at everyone's photos and I encourage everyone to join: http://365project.org/

As a side note, I listened to three albums while sewing this bag:  'Gulag Orkestar' by Beirut, 'Fold your hands child, you walk like a peasant,' by Belle & Sebastian, and 'Different Light' by the Bangles.  Do you listen to music while you sew, and if yes, what do you like to listen to?

4 comments:

  1. Your blog certainly isn't 'one big mess'! On the contrary, it's very interesting and well-organised. Your bag also looks very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - I think the organization is just Google doing it's thing though. There's still some elements I can't figure out how to manipulate. And, I ended up happy with the bag, after everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a gift. I wish I could sew and knit. I asked my mother to teach me to knit, and she told me to ask my sister--who told me to ask my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :( Well I'd love to teach you! But as I don't want you to wait, maybe you know someone who lives closer to you who knits...

    ReplyDelete