I hadn't had my sewing class in several weeks due to various holidays, but it was back on last night. So I was able to finally start putting together my wool jacket. Just a reminder, I had chosen this pattern from the 9/11 Burda Style magazine and this fabric:
Here's the schematic, from the Burda website:
During the last class (a 2-hour session) I had spent the whole time tracing out of the pattern pieces and adding the seam allowances. I ran out of time and couldn't cut out the pieces so I just kept everything pinned and planned to do it at home. And then when I unfolded my fabric yesterday to cut out the pieces before class, this is what I found:
No more seam allowances marked! Ack!! All I did was fold the fabric and put it in a bag - and kept it like that for a week. I didn't move the bag or fabric around a lot, but apparently it doesn't take much to erase chalk marks. Luckily I had enough time to redo all the seam allowances (although I did mess up one piece) and cut out the fabric before class.
So I was very productive in class! I got the back and front shells assembled.
Here's the interior of the back:
And an exterior shot with the back pleat:
You can see that I've decided against going for the exposed seams, as they do in the original. I couldn't find the same type of wool, and the kind I bought will unravel if I do that. Too bad, I like the look. But I'm happy with this more classic version too.
An interior shot of the front:
I can tell already that there's too much room in the bust, but my teacher said we should finish putting it all together and see how it hangs, then alter it. So that's what I'm doing!
Here's the exterior front:
So far I think it's looking good. I'm making much better time on this with help from my teacher than I would going it solo. It would've taken me forever just to decipher which pieces go together. That's the good thing about enrolling in classes, you are forced to work (well, if you attend class!) even if your mojo is suffering. :)