Finished!! This came together pretty quickly. The instructions were very clear and I actually had fun sewing this. I like the crispness of the collar and the pockets.
Having said that, I didn't 100% follow the instructions. I didn't make a muslin first, I just jumped right in with the fashion fabric. (Wild, I know!) So I didn't do the flat fell seams. I definitely want to try this technique, but not on the final version of something without practicing first. And not when I don't own a flat felling foot.
I also didn't follow the directions for the interior yoke. I tried to, but I kept messing up the rolling part. So I just sewed it by hand and I'm perfectly happy with the results. Overall, I am really happy with this project. I think it's the best work I've done to date, inside and out. The patch pockets aren't totally aligned, but since it's a plain fabric it doesn't show up too egregiously.
I cut a size L (well, I traced it and then cut it) and didn't make any adjustments. I think that size fits him well. A medium would've been too small across the shoulders. When I cut it out, it seemed huge, but when it's worn, I think it looks good. I suppose it could be slimmer along the sides, but T. doesn't like to wear close-fitting shirts, so I'm calling it a win.
Here's a back view:
Now T. just needs to decide what color he wants for the next version! He has already requested that the next one have a collar stand, so I think I'll be using David Page Coffin's Shirtmaking book. In any case, this shirt will have to stay in the closet for a while because it's still rather too cold for it. Spring is very late in making an appearance here.
I better go iron some clothes now and get ready for the Me-Made Challenge of the 2012!! ;)