Fall Essentials Challenge: One More Down

Clearly fall has come and gone, but I'm still working on my list because all of the projects are things I really want to make and I already have the materials on hand. Here's a reminder of what I had planned. So according to this, I have two projects left to complete:

The most recently completed project - New Look 6808 - is a double whammy because it was on my Fall Essentials Palette and on my Closing the Gap list (a red shirt).

I chose View A, with the three-quarter sleeves, done up in a red linen that I had left from a Heidi costume. As you can see, the snow has melted and it's warmed up enough for me to take some outside photos:

I really love the result and I'm sure I'll be using this pattern again. I'd like to redraw the neckline and do a scoop neck eventually.

Oh yeah, and there I am wearing my refurbished jeans...but I still haven't finished removing the butterfly! And there's a self-knitted hat that I wear nearly every day in winter. I don't have a decent photo of it, so this is a combined photo shoot. ;)

I will make other changes for the next go-round. I had to chop off 5.5 cm from the hem because it was too tight across the hips, but I really liked the longer length. I should've graded out to a size 12 below the waist.

And next time I'll make the bust darts shorter because the length now makes me look *ahem* pointy.

AND, this time around I took out some of the width on the back darts to help with my sway back, but I didn't take out enough because I still have some pooling. So, next time around I'll make the back darts even skinnier...although grading out to a size 12 at the hips might help with that.

Finally, next time (and I should really just use this technique all the time) I'll insert the sleeves flat and sew up the side seams afterward. I managed to ease in the sleeve caps, but the top is still lumpier than I'd like. I'm hoping I can tame things a bit with an iron.

Still, I'm quite pleased and I can see myself making a lot of different versions of this pattern.

The instructions were to hand stitch the hem, so I did, and just for fun I added this ribbon inside:

I happened to have to leftover red ribbon (from making Christmas ornaments last year) and I'm happy with the effect. I was totally inspired by Kat's blue skirt at Modern Vintage Cupcakes. I need to buy some hem binding tout de suite!

Just a heads up for anyone thinking about making this pattern, the directions have you do a lot of hand sewing. You had to hand sew the neckline facing and part of the cuffs and the hem. I actually quite like hand sewing and so I didn't mind it, but I know some people try to avoid it. I'm sure there are ways around it though. ;)

I guess if I had finished this last week it could've been a Valentine's Day shirt! I totally did not plan that.


  1. Ok this is too cute! I made a disastrous version. Of this with a prissy collar, now yours has me wanting to break it back out and make friends. Love it!

  2. I like this a lot! I have made similar tops but mine are much more tent like! Yours is a great balance between not too fitted, not too tent-y. Love the colour too. Knitted hat is looking great too.

  3. You look fantastic! I love the top, and I'm also a big fan of how you styled it with the necklace and hat - tres chic!

  4. Thanks everyone! I like the other collars but I'm not sure I can pull them off, so I'm thinking of trying to redraw the neckline for my next version.

  5. I love it! The fit looks good and the colour is so pretty. And I'm very impressed by the handstitched hem - it looks both cute and so neatly done.


Post a Comment

Popular Posts