Thursday, March 29, 2012

Silk Skirt Reveal

Ta da!!! I *finally* finished the blue silk skirt for my friend. I don't have a picture of her modelling it 'cuz she lives up in Paris and I haven't given it to her yet, but here it is on my sewing space/dining room table:


Okay, my gathers are not evenly spaced, but that's the best I could do. I went back and re-spaced them, but they still bunched up in the middle.

Here's a back shot; you can see I chose a pink invisible zipper to match the warp thread:


A close-up on the back vent:


As far as the pattern goes, I'm happy with it. The instructions were good and I think it was easy to put together. The only difficulties I had were in adapting the pattern to use with a lining (odd that it is not lined though...this kind of skirt really needs either a slip or a lining) OR working with the silk OR my machine and my pinking shears eating the fabric.

I didn't insert the lining in the best way possible, but it's an improvement over my red cotton trial version. The silk is so delicate though that I can see the zipper is already stressing it out. I'll have to tell my friend to be careful with the zipper.

The silk frayed like crazy; I guess this was to be expected. But my machine was behaving itself up until the last day of sewing. Luckily, at that point, I was finished with the fashion fabric and was only working with the lining. But my machine (and my pinking shears, which I think I need to replace) did eat up some of the lining fabric. Hence, you can see here that one part is shorter than the other because I had to compensate:


It's on the inside so I'm not going to worry about it!

My original plan was to keep the selvedge for the hem line, but because of the pattern having a round hem and not a straight hem, I couldn't do that. What I did do though was to cut off the selvedge and use it as hem binding, which I then rolled to the inside. It wasn't pretty enough to keep it on the outside there.

However, I did keep it on the outside at the waist band. I like the effect it has there - a slightly more rigorous trim that provides an interplay for the classy, shiny silk. And of course it picks up the pink threads showing throughout the fabric.


Here's a shot of the pocket. I used the same fabric inside:


All in all, I think the pattern and the fabric go well together. But the fabric is definitely not hard-wearing. I think because of that it's more of an 'upon occasion' skirt than an everyday skirt.

10 comments:

  1. That fabric is so lovely! Kudos to you for actually taking on sewing with silk! I'm still way too scared for that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I procrastinated forever because I was scared of it!

      Delete
  2. Well done.I have made over the past couple of weeks two dresses for my friend...both have been a compete catalogue of disasters.The red dress is now too small and I have to alter it and the second dress,a blue one,was going ok until this morning...I just finished the hem and was snipping off excess fabric only to cut a big hole in the dress.I think you might have heard me swearing where you live.Never ever have I cut a hole in a dress before typical that it had to be for a friend.Needless to say the hemline is now much shorter than originally planned!!
    Never again will I sew for a friend...too stressful.
    This skirt looks really sweet and I love the pink shot fabric...gorgeous.Well done for finishing it too with your sanity intact!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first thing I sewed for another person (well, recently) was a shirt for my sister. And while I was hemming it I cut a hole in it! And you know, I think I just darned the hole.

    I'm not sure I could've heard you swearing because I was swearing too loudly myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The skirt is lovely Donna. I like the extra pinkness on the waistband. Skirts with pockets are always the best in my book! Well done for sewing for a friend. I haven't made anything for a friend for about two years. I just feel that I am not upto finishing to a high enough standard for someone else! I can live with my mistakes and shortcouts but don't want to impose them on another person!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That skirt is lovely! I particularly like the shaped waistband

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, that fabric is so lovely! Such a nice sewist to sew for a friend ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That fabric is perfect for the skirt! Just great. And well done for sewing for a friend, I just finished a Portfolio dress for a friend of mine (who coincidentally also lives in Paris). I only hope it´ll fit her! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH WOW! I love the style paired with this fabric - the waistband is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete